Wednesday, February 2, 2011

David Levithan and The Lover's Dictionary

Oh! I had my second physical therapy appointment today, many tiny movements writ big, movements connecting those tiny wrist bones and their delicate shifts and those big shoulder bones that are so affected by the lack of movement in those wrist bones. One more therapy session and x-rays next week. Woohoo!

I know, I know, two posts in one day but I have to tell you about David Levithan's new book for grown-ups, The Lover's Dictionary.

The Lover's Dictionary is the story of a relationship told in alphabetical order using words from the dictionary where the definition is a memory/thought/entry defining that word. It is such a cool book! I just couldn't pick up Getting Things Done to read while I had breakfast. This is what I took with me to therapy and just had to keep reading.

"disabuse, v.

I love the idea that an abuse can be negated. And that the things most often disabused are notions."

It is a very interesting way to tell a story- I have visions of using this idea in our summer book and writing programs - however, using words that may not be loaded with so many adult connotations.

David Levithan writes beautifully, something you'd expect since he is an editor at Scholastic. If you haven't read anything by him, check him out (Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, Love is the Higher Law...). He will be at Elliot Bay Bookstore for this book on Saturday and I think I need to be there.

Maybe I'll see you there!

(Lover's Dictionary is for grown-ups. Available now, $18.00. Farrar, Straus and Giroux.)

No comments:

Post a Comment