Friday, March 25, 2011

Origami Yoda and a Spring Day

Sunrise was at 7:02, sunset will be at 7:29.

What a day, huh? I straightened the house, made the bed, put my clothes away, waiting for the end of Friday morning's KUOW show, getting ready to do the week's shopping and to take my Friday walk around Seward Park since the sky is blue, the sun is warm, and I have a full tank of gas.

I parked at the edge of the park, taking The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, by Tom Angleberger, with me for the walk. It was slightly cool, the air full of the sound of ducks, geese and seagulls. I could hear the gravelly, sandy sounding redwing blackbirds in the cattails across the water, no beaver but lots of turtles sunning on the beaver's nest, glinting dully in the light, like little helmets. There was a single turtle slowly moving under the skin of the lake, nose like a little periscope the only above-water piece of turtle. It didn't seem to swim; maybe pulled along by the movement out of the bay? Tides? The locks opening and closing? A pair of duck swim over it, frightening it lower in the water.

There was a cry in the trees I haven't heard before. I saw a big bird walking along a branch but have no idea what it was. I know what I wanted it to be! Lots of young kids and nannies, enjoying the afternoon of sun before the weather changes and the clouds, rain, and wind roll back in. The inside of my car was warm and I wanted a nap.

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda was really fun. A boy, a boy no one really likes, folds a piece of origami into the shape of Yoda and wears it on his finger. As kids ask the Yoda questions, he, using Dwight's voice, Dwight is channeling Yoda's wisdom, gives advice that inevitably the best possible advice that could be given. Is it true? Can the origami Yoda be real? Dwight has never been known for his ability to put two thoughts together that make sense. He also swears that he doesn't know how Yoda does it! It just happens. Tommy, our narrator, needs to know how it all works before he takes the Yoda's advice about something very important about a girl.

It's fun and funny, a light-hearted little thing perfect for the beginnings of romance. I loved how it ended, Dwight finally comes into his own, and everyone learns a little more about tolerance and difference. Ages 9 and up. (Amulet. Available now. 12.95.)

No comments:

Post a Comment