Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sunrise today is at 7:39, sunset will be at 6:08. I always feel like I've gotten more done in a day, I've accomplished more, and that I am hardier than I think, if I am up and around before it gets light; hard to do when sunrise happens when we're on the uptick to 8 am!

I finished The Poacher's Son last night and it was good all the way through. As I said in the previous post, it's primarily a book about family and responsibility; when does it end? Or does it ever?

Mike Bowditch is a game warden in Maine. His father, the poacher, is accused of murdering 2 cops and is the subject of an intense man-hunt. He eludes all the hunters and dogs because he knows how to maneuver through the woods and the mountains.

Mike knows his father couldn't have done it and he tries to insinuate himself into the case but, according to the other cops, is obviously biased toward his father and so is forced out of the chain of information.

Throughout the book, thankfully not every other chapter, we get glimpses into Mike's life as a child. He wants so desperately to have his father be proud of him, even remember him, and his dad is definitely not one of those kinds of men. I really didn't like that man and can see why so many people in the book wanted him to be the murderer!

The book is full of twists and turns and great writing. It was really exciting and absolutely riveting. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Now, I have to find the next book to read.

I have a house full of books to browse, and, tonight anyway, a car full of books in the driveway because I am speaking to middle and high school librarians tomorrow about my favorite YA books.

On the kitchen table in front of me I have The Amanda Project: invisible i, by Stella Lennon; Solace of the Road, by Siobhan Dowd; Day of the Pelican, by Katherine Paterson; Party, by Tom Leveen; Will Grayson Will Grayson, by John Green and David Levithan; and The Bread of Angels, by Stephanie Saldana. Which will it be??? I am taking them all up to bed with me tonight and the one I can't put down first will be the one I stay up with. It's my FRIDAY and I get to stay up and read!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment