Saturday, May 26, 2012

It's so hard to choose just one

Don't you love the little chicken icon?
Sunrise was at 5:23, Sunset will be at 8:50.  It's been wet for awhile but kind of warm and muggy out.  Unfortunately, we missed the eclipse as a result of the overcastedness of our weather.  Bummer.  I just weeded the yard and swept the patio last weekend and there is rampant greenery coming over the rock wall and up the fence.  Some moss, a lot of ivy and the weeds are fairly popping out of the warm and wet dirt.

There's a nest of birds in our gutter and it poured yesterday.  The young ones aren't ready to fly, yet, so I hope they're safe.

Mervyn Peake and Gormenghast
I'm going through my books.  Again.  After more than three decades of working in bookstores, 4 years of college, and a lifetime of used bookshops, grocery store racks, yard and library sales, I have no more room for books.  Oh, I'm not as bad as some people, I'm sure, but there's no way to take out a seam or let down a hem to find a little more space.  So, I pulled the couch out away from the shelves along the living room wall, sat down on the floor, and started to cull.  Books for sale here, books to keep (and re-shelve at some point) here.  Boxes of all sizes going in and out of the house, stacked precariously in the garage.

I love touching all these books, dust be damned, and I keep finding multiple copies of the same books.  I'm sure my memory of each of those books is what compels me to buy that next copy. I can't bear that it won't be taken home and cared for.  I think I now have 4 copies of Green Grass of Wyoming.  I have two, maybe three, copies of Good-Bye, My Lady.  I have at least three copies of the Gormenghast series, all of them different editions.
The best boy/dog book EVER.  Dingoes!
I have a pretty hefty pile of out of print kid's paperbacks that I keep buying because they are the old Scholastic books, the ones I remember ordering and reading from Weekly Reader or off of the Scholastic order form.  What on earth am I going to do with all of them?  I really want to send them to my nieces and nephews - these particular books were such a big part of my life and they may never get a chance to know them.  Maybe I need to send them a set of bookshelves, first!

 






No comments:

Post a Comment